Speech Therapy Services
Most often people think of speech therapy as only for children who stutter or need to improve their articulation. As people age, normal changes occur in speech, language, memory, and swallowing. In addition, chances of having a stroke or developing dementia or Parkinson’s disease increase, as do the chances of acquiring a communication or swallowing disorder related to these diseases.
Regain Your Speech at Camelot Senior Living
Speech therapy can even be beneficial for ailments not typically thought of as being related to cognition. In 2010, there were 258,000 hospital admissions for hip fractures among people aged 65 and older. Repair of a hip fracture often requires a rehabilitation stay with physical and occupational therapy, especially for seniors. In many of these cases, speech therapy is overlooked. However, studies have demonstrated that intensive geriatric rehabilitation in post-hip fracture patients, even those with dementia; have a better chance of returning home to independent living.
Here are some of the highlights of effective Speech Therapy offered at Camelot Senior Living Facilities.
- Speech production for better communication
- Developing verbal expression to make wants and needs known
- Comprehension to be able to follow commands in assisting CNAs with Activities of Daily Living and safety
- Mental status for orientation to surroundings for decreased anxiety and safety
- Reasoning and problem solving for increased independence with Activities of Daily Living and safety awareness, decision making to avoid hazardous situations and potential dangers/falls
- Diet changes to avoid aspiration, improve intake, maintain/improve nutrition
- Signs/symptoms of aspiration – Educate CNA/nursing staff and family to ensure safest diet
- Compensatory strategies for increased independence during oral intake (chin tuck, alternating bites/sips, eating slowly)
There must be an expectation that the patient’s condition will improve significantly in a reasonable (and generally predictable) period of time based on the assessment by the physician of the patient’s restoration potential after any needed consultation with the qualified speech pathologist, or the services must be necessary to the establishment of a safe and effective maintenance program required in connection with a specific disease state.
Camelot Senior Living is a leading assisted living/nursing home organization based in Louisiana. We have locations in Baker, Broussard, Jennings, Lafayette, Rayne, and Ponchatoula. We are also expanding into additional markets.
Schedule a tour of our facilities or a one-on-one meeting with our Therapy Director, Abby Aucoin, to discuss options for a personalized recovery plan.
Want to share your feedback with our CEO?
Our CEO would love to know your story.